LC and PCC have agreed to the interim guidelines for undifferentiated names found at:http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/rda/RDA%20Interim%20Policies%20and%20Best%20Practices.html
Undifferentiated Personal Name Authority Records (Jan. 7, 2013)
Pending the final report of the PCC Non-MARC Task Group, due March 29, 2013, PCC NACO catalogers encountering identities that may be candidates for an undifferentiated name authority record are asked to follow these guidelines:
RDA-trained NACO Catalogers:
• Avoid if at all possible creating new RDA or AACR2 undifferentiated personal name authority records
• Avoid if at all possible adding entities to existing RDA or AACR2 undifferentiated personal name authority records
Instead, apply one of the following RDA instructions, based on cataloger's judgment, to create a unique authorized access point for the person:
• RDA 188.8.131.52 (Profession or Occupation)
• RDA 184.108.40.206 (Period of Activity of the Person)
• Determine if a date of birth, a date of death, a fuller form of name, or an initial is available to create a unique authorized access point for the person.
AACR2 NACO Catalogers:
• Until they are RDA-trained, AACR2 NACO catalogers may continue to create new AACR2 undifferentiated name authority records
• Until they are RDA-trained, AACR2 NACO catalogers may continue to add entities to existing AACR2 undifferentiated name authority records
All RDA questions should be directed to LChelp4rda@loc.gov.
Comments on PCC-related aspects of the US RDA Test may be sent to: email@example.com with the words "PCC/RDA aspects" in the subject line