|RDA RELATIONSHIP DESIGNATORS|
Library of Congress Implementation of Resource Description and Access Relationship Designators in Bibliographic Records with MARC 21 RDA Cataloging Examples, Guidelines, and Best Practices
- The training manual is only for relationship designators in bibliographic records.
- The requirement for providing relationship designators is only applicable to creators, whether coded in MARC 1XX or 7XX.
- Relationship designators for Person-Family-Corporate Body should not be used in a name/title access point tagged 7XX or 8XX, even if they are creators.
- If the nature of the relationship cannot be ascertained even at a general level, do not assign a relationship designator (if in doubt, leave it out).
- Other relationship designators are encouraged.
- The element name, e.g., “creator”, may be used as a relationship designator when you can’t determine a more appropriate relationship designator.
- The training manual also provides a useful section on “Punctuation and Capitalization”.
- Relationship designators in RDA may change so always search Appendix I or J for the correct term before assigning one.
- Using relationship designators for other types of relationships (for example, contributor relationships), is strongly encouraged.
- Include a relationship designator, even if it repeats a term used as a qualifier to the name.
- Consult RDA Appendix I.2.1: Relationship Designators for Creators. Remember that the relationship designators that are used with creators are on the list in RDA Appendix I.2.1, not on the lists in I.2.2 or I.3.1.
- It is recommended that PCC catalogers use relationship designators from the RDA appendices. If the term needed is not there, use the Fast Track PCC relationship designator proposal form to propose a new term or request a revision of an existing term.
Relationship Designators in RDA: Connecting the Dots
[Source: Adam L. Schiff, Principal Cataloger, University of Washington Libraries]
See also related RDA Blog posts:
- RDA Tookit Release (October 14, 2014) : Changes in and Revision of Resource Description & Access and LC-PCC PS
- Relationship Designators in Resource Description and Access (RDA) : honouree, host institution, organizer, sponsoring body, author
- Editor of Compilation vs Compiler
- Corporate Body Relationship Designator : Questions & Answers
- RELATIONSHIP DESIGNATORS - QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
- MARC Code List for Relators
- Creators and Contributors : LC-PCC Best Practices Guidelines
- Use of 500 and 510 Field to Show Relationships in a Corporate Body Name
Comment by Bob Kosovsky, Curataor, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Music Division, The New York Public Library, New York, United States: